Sunday, October 21, 2012

HAIR WE GO... AGAIN!

My children have a lot of hair. A LOT. Here are a few pictures of Khyri through the years before we gave him a big boy haircut.

Khyri at 7 months







Here are some recent pictures of baby girl Kielle. Aren't her puffs super cute?!!






Khyri's hair was thicker than Kielle's - way more strands per inch. I literally could not see his scalp! Ahhh - the luscious thick locs. The beauty of the fluffy pigtails. But, at some point - the hair has to be...WASHED.

Actually, let's be clear - the washing isn't the hard part. The tough part is the doggone combing once the hair is wet. Lord.Lord.Lord. Let me paint the picture...

old school!
After 2 weeks of procrastination, I finally attempted to address the situation on top of Kielle's head which had gotten completely out of control. She had two puffs and one braid in the back. The back braid had all kinds of lint and was starting to get matted. It needed immediate attention. On Sunday I decided that Tuesday was going to be the day I washed her hair. Tuesday came and went. Wednesday I just looked at her - defeated. Thursday I had renewed spirit. I washed her hair with a deep conditioner. I took it back old school. I used the Queen Helene orange conditioner in the jar - I know right ?! ooollldd school!

I just knew this was going to be easy breezy once her hair was nicely conditioned and cleaned. I thought I would be able to glide the comb through her hair and magically perfectly coiffed tendrils would cascade down her forehead. Nope. She wouldn't let me comb it. That's right. This little girl refused to sit still. She moaned and cried and yelled and hollered - arrrgghh it was so annoying hahahaha. So I gave up. Bad move. This is how she looked when we went to pick up Khyri right after washing her hair - cute right?!!?


Well this is Kielle one day later... FRANKENSTEIN.


 
You'd think I'd be motivated to do something with her head finally right?!?! nope. I was seriously scuuured. But I resolved that Saturday, a whole week from my original date, was going to be a day of reckoning.

Instead of washing her hair in the shower, like we usually do, I  put Kielle and Khyri into the tub. My thinking was that she would distracted playing in the water with her bother. She had no idea what was about to happen.

ready to jump into the bathtub - clueless
I hit her quick with the water as soon as she got in. BAM. She didn't even know what was going on. I was stealth - quick like a jaguar. hahaha


Then I put in the cream of nature detangling shampoo - again ooollldd school. While Khyri "swam" in the tub, Kielle played in the shampoo saying "Bubbles where are you!?!"  :-) This isn't bad after all. Why was I so afraid?






I shampooed her hair twice and used the hand held shower attachment to rinse her hair clean. You know my munchkins love a sprinkler, so they thought it was playtime for real! I didn't mind though as long as I was able to get her hair clean; Khyri just got some extra tub time - lucky duck :-)

When they were all rinsed and clean, everyone piled out of the bathtub. I let the munchkins run around with the towels on their heads like they had superhero capes for awhile. While they did that I went downstairs and put the Blue's Clues Alphabet Power DVD in. Distraction. Is. Key. The water worked to distract Kielle while I washed her hair, and now Blue would distract her while I combed it. Perfect plan.

I think she knows something is about to go down


Once everyone was dressed and moisturized we headed downstairs to start. Here are some pictures. There were tons of tears mixed with the alphabet song about 3 times. I know I got some cross-eyed looks not only from Kielle but also Khyri who was mad because she was making a lot of noise and he couldn't hear his video. hahahahah. He is a man of so much compassion - not! ahahah. My thighs go a good work out because I had to do the super grip to keep Kielle from running away. I quickly remembered why I don't like this part of the process.

first part in - and we're already battling
one braid down
memba (yes memba) this comb? No joke!
I used a rat-tail comb to make my parts straight
my cornrow skills are still up to snuff!
momma's got skills!



All done!
Blue's Clues came in handy. It totally worked!

Kielle channeling her inner Cleo from Set It Off
There was a lot of mumbling, yelling and babbling through out the whole ordeal. I'm sure Kielle said some things that aren't allowed to be said on network television. hahahahah I can only imagine what she's gonna say when she actually knows the bad words. Oh the battle with hair :-(

I didn't wrap her head tonight so who knows what these cornrows are gonna look like in the morning. I know now that I need to just keep her hair braided or at least pulled back all the time. I love the puffs, but they may only come out for special occasions. Well actually, maybe if I comb her hair more regularly, like say twice a week, then she will get used to it and it won't be so much of a hassle. I am going to commit to washing her hair once a week though for sure. I'm claiming it right now... Every Wednesday afternoon Kielle will have a new 'do :-)

1 comment:

Tarah said...

Now will you swing by and do Noah's hair? Pretty please!! That joker hates a comb!