Wednesday, September 9, 2015

SUMMER SWIMMING

Since we moved into this new neighborhood, we have had access to a pool! Last summer while I was pregnant we went to the pool maybe once or twice a month - this summer!?!? we were in the pool at least two or three times a week!

With all of this water fun, it was imperative that the kiddos get more familiar with the water. I started first by purchasing puddle jumpers. Last year we had life jackets and they did not work for us. I found out from other moms that life jackets are meant to have kids float on their backs and await rescue. Puddle Jumpers, however, are designed to keep kids' heads above water but forward facing.

I rushed over to Target and grabbed two Puddle Jumpers to start the summer.

In addition, I looked around for swimming classes for Khyri. Kielle was still in school all day, so I wasn't so concerned with her learning to swim this summer. I decided to look at the local Smyrna Community Pool over at Tolleson Park. For $75 you can get 8 forty five minute swim classes held Monday through Thursday. Sign us up! I signed Khyri up for the beginner's class and it was a good pace. There were 6 or so kids each day and two instructors. 



The instructors worked on the fundamentals of swimming from kicking with straight legs, to breathing under water. The children used kick boards to work on their technique and pushed each other to swim across from one edge of the pool to the other. 


At the end of each class, The kids got to jump off the diving board into the 12 foot depth. 




Now I feel very comfortable taking all three kiddos to the pool by myself. I know that Kielle has her puddle jumpers to keep her afloat and Khyri's swimming skills are getting better each day. I will definitively sign them up for classes next year so Khyri can improve his technique and Kielle can hopefully move to swimming without the Puddle Jumpers.


No comments: